The 1 Year Wardrobe Resolution

I'm a shopaholic.  Yep, I said it and it's so true.  It's no secret I love to shop.  I always have, I always will.  Is it a form of addiction?  I'm not sure.  Maybe.  All I know is the thrill of the hunt for a fabulous dress, an amazing pair of shoes or the perfect bag fuels me.  It's so exciting and fun for me to dig to find those deals. Shopping definitely is a passion of mine and a big reason why I started this blog. 

With that said, shopping can also be distracting, self-centered and expensive.  I often find myself popping in places like Target or TJ Maxx when I have a million other things to be doing.  Or spending hours browsing at the sale section of Shopbop and other online retailers.  I will buy something then question if I really needed it and why I'm so concerned about having this bag or that watch.  I don't like that feeling.  I spend a lot of my extra income on shopping and know that money could be saved in order to pay for something much more meaningful and important one day.  

I also know I have more than I could ever need.  I honestly can not think of 1 thing I really need or even want right now.  There are so many people out there that need so much. 

I've felt this way about shopping for a long time however never really did anything about it or changed the way I approached it.  I started following The 1 Year Wardrobe Resolution on Instagram at the beginning of the year.  It's a young woman named Christi who similar to myself loves to shop and lives in South Carolina.  She decided to completely give up shopping for 2014.  I've followed along and watched her successfully do this while giving back to her community and inspiring so many to follow in her footsteps including myself. 




I never had the courage to commit to the 1 Year Wardrobe Resolution until now.  I celebrated my 31st Birthday last week and decided for my 31st year of life, I would not shop for the entire year.  This is going to be my year to learn about what's really important in life and I could not think of a better way to do it.  

~Here are the Rules~






Only 1 exception to the rules I've added for myself is Rent the Runway.  You know from my previous post I am a HUGE RTR fan!  I'm only allowed to use RTR this year for special occasions (i.e. weddings, graduation, showers, black tie events, etc.).  It must not become a habit or regular in any way.  I'm only allowing myself this exception because of all the events I have to attend throughout the year.  No, I will not be using RTR for all of them but possibly some.  Renting something is not the same as Buying something in my eyes so it's still allowed.  

This is going to be a very difficult year for me no doubt.  Shopping is something I'm very passionate about.  I'm going to have extremely weak moments but that's why I have family and friends to help me get through it!  I'm going to stay focused on what's important and continue to remember the 5 reasons why I'm doing this like Christi...

~I have way more than I could ever need~
~I want to learn to be happy with the things I have~
~I want to find out "less" is really "more"~
~I want to prove to myself that I can do it~
~There are more important things I should be spending my time and money on~


Beaucoup D'Amour,
Megan


3 comments:

  1. This is truly inspiring! I recently shopped for myself and felt sick shortly after. I decided to clean out my closet and donate a bunch of stuff. I'm not done yet. I think I'm going to do this challenge. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! It's not that bad, promise!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I started today and blogged about it too =).

      Delete