Want it Wednesday~Long Hair

I continue to get asked all the time how I grew my hair so long.



One of my very first posts on this blog was titled the Hair Strengthening Program written as a tutorial for you.  I want to update that tutorial a bit…and teach you how you can get long hair too!

Take Vitamins

A few years ago I started taking Prenatal Vitamins to grow my hair because I sold them but honestly I haven't taken them in quite a while.  I definitely recommend them if you are looking to grow your hair long.  Over the counter is fine, just make sure it has Folic Acid and Biotin in it.  One pill that I do take and think is very important is DHA.  DHA is found in Fish Oil or Omega 3 Fatty Acids which is great for your hair skin and nails.  Sometimes you will find these come as a secondary pill with your prenatal vitamin or you can just take it on your own.  You can also buy these over the counter from your pharmacy or heath food store.  I also think it's very important to take a multivitamin every day.  I have been taking a liquid form everyday called Multi and Restore from Nussentials.  They provide me with all my vitamins and minerals and hyaluronic acid which is important to restore into your skin.  There will be a post on Nussentials coming real soon.  I love it!

Here is Women's One A Day Prenatal and it includes DHA
This is where you get your Omega 3 Fatty Acids including DHA
My liquid Multi by Nussentials for all my vitamins and minerals
Liquid Restore by Nussentials for my skin and hair

Deep Condition

I've written about this a lot on the blog.  You must deep condition your hair 1-2 times per week.  Right now I am loving my Moroccan Oil Mask.  I leave it on while I'm in the shower or for even deeper conditioning overnight then rinse out.  If the Moroccan Oil Mask is out of your budget, try Aussie 3 Minute Miracle.  It's 4 bucks and awesome.
Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask
Aussie 3 Minute Miracle
Moroccan Oil 

If you read this blog, you know my obsession with Moroccan Oil.  The best smelling, most amazing products ever that will make your hair so soft!  I've used the shampoo, conditioner, mask, curl cream, glimmer spray, oil, volumizing mouse and hairspray.  Moroccan Oil products are the only products I will put on my hair anymore.  I give all the credit to these products for making my hair so soft.  If you use any of the products, make sure it is the oil.  Put on your damp hair and let dry.  You will immediately see shinier and softer hair.  Moroccan Oil to me is like a daily vitamin for your hair.

No Heat or Elastics

Try and stop using heat on your hair as much as possible.  Let your hair air dry instead of using a blow dryer.  I like to go to bed with a bit of a damp head.  I wake up with soft hair and sometimes I will use some velvet hot rollers which are not damaging.  Very rarely do I use a curling iron or straightener.  If you want long hair, you've got to cut way back on the heat.  The other important thing is what you are putting on your hair like rubber bands and elastics.  These are very damaging to your hair.  I wrote a post on my love for Emi-Jay Hair Ties.  These are the best and do not damage your hair at all!  So next time you are throwing your hair up in a ponytail or bun, try and use an Emi-Jay so you won't continue to break off your hair.
Conair Ion Shine Rollers
Emi-Jay Hair Ties


The Brush

I recently wrote a post on the Wet Brush which I am obsessed with for using once you get out of the shower to brush your tangles out.  It is amazing!  I've stopped using deep conditioning spray completely.  I've also heard to use the Wet Brush in the shower with your deep conditioner which is not a bad idea.  Once my hair is dry, I only use a boar bristle brush.  This is the best kind of brush to use on your hair.  It is not damaging at all and makes your hair very soft.

The Wet Brush

Mason Pearson Boar Bristle Brush


No Cuts

This is by far the most important thing you can do if you want long hair  Don't cut it!  I know, it's a lot harder than it sounds.  If you are doing all of the above things I am recommending and have maintained healthy hair, you should only need 2 trims per year.  That's what I do and I'm telling you it works!  We do not need trims every 6-8 weeks like you have been told.  You know this is just what they say to get you back in the salon:)  Your hair is healthy enough to only be trimmed, meaning half an inch of length, twice a year.
EEK!  No more cutting your hair.

~Some Long Hair Inspiration~





So get growing!  Your hair will grow about 1/2 an inch per month.  Now all you need is time…You can do it!!

Beaucoup D'Amour,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment